Saturday, July 14, 2012

Research that Benefits Children and Families—Uplifting Stories



The Highscope Foundation has dedicated years of research towards active learning and how it affects early childhood children and in their learning ability. My child had difficulties at an early age of being able to concentrate, comprehend and show real proof that he was learning in a directive structured environment. The Headstart program that I enrolled him in only followed certain components of the Highscope curriculum and findings from their research. Many educators had doubts and the research was fairly new; however I began to see so much growth in my child that I started practicing it at home alone with Highscope steps to conflict resolution. I never thought my child would be able to learn the things he was learning without the aid of medication.

Today I see evidence of great progress that Highscope research and techniques had made on the children I serve. The children are learning so much because I implement Highscope proven research in my class that through play and active learning children advance more than they did when I taught from my non-interest motivated lesson plans and teacher controlled experiences. I realized now that researching their hypothesis had to include exposing children in both environments in order to validate their beliefs. Research may cause some negative inconvenience to children but the results can cause great influences on children for the rest of their lives.
http://www.highscope.org/

3 comments:

  1. Katrice, your post was very touching. I enjoyed working with young children in Head Start doing the Active Learning techniques too. There is a book written for High Scope curriculum named: Active Learning. This book was very helpful for me to plan my curriculum. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrice,
    It is great to able to reflect on a personal experience involving positive research. The HighScope curriculum is great indeed. I had to research a lot of curriculums looking for one to adopt for the new center and I was impressed with HighScope due to its years of supporting research. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were able to see how this method was working in school for your son and by being an forward thinking parent you started at home. I wish all parents did this.
    I also appreciate that you recognized how helpful it was to share it with the children you work with. Hopefully their parents do the same as you did and help their children learn more at home.

    ReplyDelete