Saturday, August 18, 2012

When I Think of Research...


I have a deeper respect for those who do research. I use to say that they can make suggestion but can they implement it. I have learned through this study of research and my personal simulation that conducting research requires a lot of work. The researcher has to do a lot of preparation before beginning the study. They have to get their hands dirty by getting involved looking at every aspect of the study and present it so that it may help other to have a better understanding of the subject. To me it’s like getting ready to start a new year with a new group of children and families. You have to gather all the tools to accomplish the goals you have set for your children while keeping in mind that you will have to modify you plans and tools to best fit the needs of the children. You have to teach so that the children will comprehend and learn what you have intended and more or you have to revamp your plans and create new ones. In research I have learned that sometimes research has to be combined and modified in order to meet the need to validate the study.


In my difficult and frustrating simulation, I learned that putting my thoughts of how I might conduct my research, the participants that I will have and the assessment tools I will use in writing was harder than I could ever imagine. I needed to be specific and clear enough for others to follow with great details on how I will implement the study. I knew how I wanted do my study but following research guidelines and methods made it complex. One of my problems I faced dealt with ethics. My study addressed children managing fear at home compared to at school. I had to ensure that children would not be put in any harm or risks beyond the norm. So I have to be honest that when we study issues of children dealing with fear, child abuse or any aggressive behavior study it is a possibility and lines may be crossed. So I had to try to find ways to prevent this possibility in the study. I am not sure that I did that and would be afraid to study it for real.

1 comment:

  1. Katrice,

    I really enjoyed your final blog for this week, and like you I also have a greater understanding and respect for the people and the field of research. Like you I also faced some challenges and experienced some difficulties once I began my research simulation, especially it regards to being clear and specific when dealing with my topic. But through the course of this class, I now think I have a better understanding of the process that is involved in embarking on a new research study. Great Job! and Thank-you.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete