Friday, September 14, 2012

My Family Culture



It is difficult to imagine having to choose only three things to take with me after having to leave a country where my way of living was comfortable. I would have to say that the first thing I would have to take is my family photo album so that I can have something to remind me of the connection that my family and I have. The second item would be my bible so that I will have the foundation of my beliefs with me so that I could continue to read and live by what I have been raised to believe. I would also use the bible to teach my family what have been taught through the bible about our religion in the new country. The last item I would take would be my is my phone, lap top or Ipad so that I will be able to keep up with the technology that I have learned to need in order to keep up with the continual advancements in the technological world.

If I had to choose one from my list, I would definitely keep my family photo album. With great reluctant, I would give up the bible and the phone, laptop or the Ipad. It would be impossible to replace pictures of family and event of the past; however, I live my beliefs every day and can teach it from memory and the technological items are always revolving to something advance and can be replaced. It is uncomplicated to decide what to leave behind when you have to choose against something that you are passionate about.

Again his exercise has confirmed my pervious statement that I am family and family is me. I can move from one side of the world to the other and adjust but being separated from my family would feel like a catastrophe to me. I can build a new home and learn how to exist in my new home. I can learn to understand and respect the ways of my new home while I introduce to them our ways. I know like everything else it will take time and dedication before I truly feel like it is my home but I will get there. But my family is not easily replaced so I will take every means necessary to keep us together and bonded like welded steel.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with what you said about being ok with having to leave "home" to go somewhere else. I believe I would be able to adjust well to whatever living conditions I would have to endure. I do not believe I would be able to make it without my family, specifically my children. As a foster mom, children come and stay with me on a fairly regular basis. I have opened my home up to 20 children in the past 4 years and every time I wonder how the parents could possibly go on without their children. My children are such a strong part of who I am, I would honestly be lost without them. I agree with you in that I would do anything to keep us together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that we can physically adapt ourselves to the new environment sooner or later. However there are something that cannot be replaced in our lives. I agree with the decision that you made about only taking one item with you. I think family is the most important part in our blood and cannot be replaced or forgotten. No matter where we end up with, we need to remember where we come from. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! We have some of the same items that we would like to take if we had to go to another country. I chose to keep my phone because it has family photos on it, as well as a bible app, and a way to contact others. I think that pictures are very important and i can see why you chose to keep your photo album.

    ReplyDelete