Sunday, November 25, 2012

Who Am I as a Communicator?

Self evaluations are not an easy task even with something as simple as taking a test. I found myself questioning what I thought of myself during these questions. The test showed that in Communication Anxiety I scored 35 which put me in the mild level. The mild level states that sometimes I feel a little uncomfortable in some circumstances and confident in others and that I am not worried about my ability to communicate well.  My husband scored me at 30 and a co-worker scored me at 22 which placed me in the low level. Theses scores states that they feel that I display comfortable communication and confidents in most encounters. It felt good to see that they thought that I had good effective communication skills.

My score for Verbal Aggressiveness was 59 which place me in the moderate level. This level state that I show a good balance of respect for other’s perspectives and that I stick close to the issue when arguing instead of the person. My husband and co-worker both agreed with scores of 62 and 59 which ranged me in moderate level.

My results for my listening styles conveyed that all of us thought that I should be in the category of Group 1 which is considered people-oriented. But I am not sure if I totally agree. Yes, I am concerned about other’s emotions and yes, I do have great relationships with my families; however, I do not agree that it affects my ability to make good judgment because I believe in my families. I am fully aware when my families are hiding things from me. So I use other techniques to convey what they need to hear and know because at the end of the day it is their choice. I also see myself an Action-oriented person. I am very direct with my families while I show concern. I believe it is important to be both professional and compassionate with our children and families.
This experience has helped me realize that there are areas that I would like to work harder on; however, it is good to see that others see the efforts that I am making. My husband may show biases but my co-worker is strictly just someone that I engage with professionally. Now I have an idea of what direction I need to go to meet greater expectations.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Katrice
    With my listening skills my co-worker and I scored the same, that I am very empathetic and is concerned with other people emotions.I am concern with other people feeling but I'm like you I do not agree with that. I think that I am more content- oriented where I need all the facts before making a decision. Great job on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scored similarly in the anxiety test and I agree with you that it is nice to see that while you might feel the anxiety, others view you as confident and in control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrice,

    I completely agree with you that this experience has also helped me realize what things I need to work myself, in regards to communication skills. And Like you some of my results differed from what my sister, and my colleague and co-worker, received when they evaluated me. And like you their scores reveled that they too also saw me as a much better communicator, then I actually saw myself. But I guess it is true that we are much harder and more critical on ourselves then others are. Great insights and great job!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete