Sunday, December 2, 2012

Disagreements and Conflicts Situations

What some pie? Is all I could think after that encounter.
I am an assistant director for Head Start at two sites and I haven’t been there very long. My director is out frequently, but we have a great communication relationship. So, I am the supervisor that my staff sees everyday and report too. He had informed me of a situation between himself, a teacher and his supervisor. The teacher felt that he had favorites and that she was not being supported. And the months that I had been there before the accusation, I had not noticed it; however, I did notice the tension between her and the other staff.  I was very new and still trying to observe everyone so that I would know what method of interaction would be productive and effective with them.

 In one of my interactions with this particular teacher, she approached me to tell me of her years of experiences and Bachelors qualification. I commended her on her accomplishments. She shared with me the recent changes that the agency had experienced from one company to another and how she was making a certain amount but lost a few dollars when the change occurred. She continued to inform me how all the new hired staff that was being hired through the agency was being paid much lower than her. Then she slightly offended me by asking me how much were they paying me in that position followed by “I hope that I’m not offending you” and to be honest I was offended. I replied; “I didn’t take this position for the pay. I took this position because I have always wanted to extend my ability to provide the best possibilities for the families and children that we serve in both educator and in their lives.” Quickly my sarcasm kicked in and I replied; “To be honest my husband is a truck driver and his income takes care of the household; Mine is extra” with a smile. I removed myself from the conversation after that.

What just happen?
I know that I responded to quickly and in a negative way. It just caught me off guard. I felt like I was being interrogated and belittled at the same time. She seemed to have wanted me to know that even though I was her supervisor she had more experience and pay than I did. So many things were going on in my head. Did she apply for the position? Why did she need to know how much they were paying me? How could she tell me that she probably had more experience in teaching than she did? At the time, I needed to get her off me.

 One positive thing I know I did was not to engage in the comparing of experience, education and pay scale. I am fully confident in my years of effective teaching strategies, am reaching for the Master degree and am financially stable. And to be honest, I am very supportive and professional of her needs as a teacher but I do limit my conversation with her to work only.
I ask you; “How would you have handled it? What would you have said?     


I

2 comments:

  1. Katrice,
    I commend you for holding your ground with her in a professional way. But on the other hand you let it be known that you were not in it for the amount of pay, but for the children and families to have a chance at success in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrice,
    I am in a position of assessment over many educators and have not taught in the classroom myself so I am sensitive to feelings about my experience. They may not know what other skills and strengths I have that make me a perfect person to do this work. I think you handled yourself well and though you feel you were edgy, you knew to walk away and regroup.
    We can't really know the baggage that another might carry that causes them to react the way they do. She may well be hanging onto resentment for being passed over for a position like yours. Keeping this in mind will help us to keep our emotions in check.

    ReplyDelete