Saturday, May 18, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels



 
The three local or state organizations or communities that grasped my attention and coincide with my capstone issue are Family-School Collaboration National State and Local Communities, IDEA Partnership and Early Intervention and Early Childhood.  My capstone challenge statement is that “Early childhood children are not experiencing higher educational phenomenon at home or at school because teachers and parents are not being taught the value and significances of parental engagement”. These Communities of Practice can provide me with support, ideas and assistance because they all relate to promoting Parental engagement with teachers and in their children’s education.

Family-School Collaboration National State and Local Communities promotes successful relationships between student’s school and home. I believe this is important because family engagement provides children with a home environment that values learning experiences and it prepares children and families for the transition to kindergarten. This can provide children with the confidents to adventure into new learning experiences and achievement. There is nothing greater than having educational support that begins in the early years of child’s education to develop and maintain in child’s experiences as an adult.

Our children are facing many obstacles in their life; disabilities are one of them. There are many reasons why children are being diagnosed with disabilities; however, because of the increasing numbers of children being born with dishabilles that ranges from ADHD, learning disabilities, parental drug related disabilities or development and physicals disabilities it is important for me to build a CoP with IDEA Partnership. IDEA Partnership has had over 50 years of experience and engagement with families. Networking with them will provide me with an array of knowledge and experienced individuals that will be willing to help me build the CoP I need for my families. Not only will they be able to aide educators in providing quality education for child with or without a disability but they will be able to aide in sustaining support and partnerships for the family. IDEA believes that, “Together the partners build materials to promote understanding and interaction in the field” (Sharedwork, 2013). I too believe that the acts of partnerships, understanding and interaction are the vital parts of the community. And that is what I desire for my CoP groups.

The words Early Intervention and Early Childhood speak for its self. I know that the earlier we are able to prevent or eliminate an issue the better. The Early Intervention and Early Childhood community of Practice does just that. They want every child provider in every aspect of a child’s life to share issues and responses to issues so that we can not only help resolve the issues but learn and prevent them from recurring. The Early Intervention and Early Childhood CoP states that, “This community is dedicated to quality early care for all young children” (Sharedwork, 2013). The quality of care is referred to the whole child; educationally, physically, mentally and nutritionally.
The jobs that I desire after my Masters degree are Pre-K 4 SA Staff Facilitator, High Scope Certified Trainer, or Parenting Skills Program Educator. Then I will reach to oversee all of San Antonio Head Starts as the Chief Executive Officer after I have obtained more education and experiences. I have obtained most of the skills and experiences required for these positions. I know that I will have to obtain more business and admission hours to qualify for the Chief Executive Officer of Head Start; these are goals I am eager to achieve.

1 comment:

  1. Katrice,
    You are so right that teachers nor parents
    are not being taught the value and significances of parental engagement. I am so glad that I can go into the homes and the schools and see this first hand and relate it back to organization.This way we all can make a different in these families lives by getting them the right resources that they need.

    ReplyDelete