Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


I have been exposed to all types of bias, prejudice and oppression because I am an African American woman. In my move to San Antonio, I have been exposed to a new environment and the Hispanic culture. Even thought there are many mixed cultures here, I stand out more because I am Black and I look Black. When my husband and I go places, we get strange looks because we are both African American. It is common to see blacks coupled with any other race but their own; yet, there are Mexicans couples and White couples and it is ok. It is so obvious that when we see other black couples they tend to make sure we greet each other. I don’t really understand it and why it is not expected that African American’s couples would exist.

 I have also noticed that it is important to the Hispanics community that you to be aware of their culture, types of foods and beliefs; I too believe that it is important. I promote and teach families the need to hold on to your culture and language. Unfortunately, I do not get the same type of respect and have to sometime make people aware of the biases that they are presenting towards me. I am a very strong, out spoken person that respects other and demands the same gratitude or I merely remove myself from the circumstances.
I love who I am; the history of my people, the religion that I believe in and I want others to pronounce their enthusiasm. We have to be careful not to force want we believe on others and respect their choices. 

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you and your husband receive funny looks when you go out but biracial couples are more acceptable. It is usually the opposite. While it is a good thing that the people where you live are comfortable with seeing different couples together. I think the should embrace you and your husband's union just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrice,

    I was surprised to read that you and your husband receive funny looks because you are both African American. I would expect biracial couples to receive those looks. It goes to show that even within the United States cultural norms are different dependent upon the region in which you live. Because the southwest has been saturated with Latino families, that is the dominant culture for that region.

    It was interesting also that Latinos expect their culture to be respected, but they do not respect other cultures. I found the people of San Antonio to be very friendly when I was there for a conference. Of course, those were different circumstances.

    If you still live in the area, I hope Latinos have become more accepting of people whose cultures are different from their culture.

    ReplyDelete